Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Fifth: Artist's Work

It is hard to even think about creating any piece of art without the piece being immersed in the artist's own personal life. Art and individualism go hand in hand. A piece of art, be it a painting, a song, a sculpture, or a digital masterpiece, at the core of the piece lies the true spirit of the artist, and this spirit comes from "events, conditions, and circumstances of one's life".
When it comes to my project, my personal life, in many ways, dictated the path my project would take. I knew that I wanted to incorporate my love of reading, and to be specific, the Choose Your Own Adventure series, into an interactive multimedia piece, yet my financial limitations led me to rethink my initial vision. After reconsideration, I decided that my love and knowledge of film should play a role in my artwork. My vision for the completed work is a comprehensive filmography of Nicholas Cage displayed through a short branching narrative in which the user guides the avatar (Nicholas Cage) through an already predetermined story line. I would not be able to even attempt to start this project if it weren't because of the countless hours I've devoted to the art of cinema as well as the times as a child that I read the Choose Your Own Adventure books and the impressions they left on me. My knowledge of movies and in particular my ability to remember and recite dialogue and plot summaries will allow me to visually map out the script of my story without having to go back and re-watch every Nicholas Cage movie. This has helped me tremendously because not having this knowledge would add days if not weeks to my pre-production process. Overall, this project is based on my love for movies and the art of storytelling and my past experiences with both will help shape a tight and entertaining piece of work.

No comments: